Covid-19 has ensued chaos in our lives. It took some time for us to adapt and transform our homes into offices, hangout spots and fine-dining restaurants. Well, we can all relate that our inner chef came alive in the 2020 lockdown. But if a home can become so many things, it’s only fair if we can also make it our personal gym.
Embark on your fitness journey from the comfort of your home. Discard all worries about buying expensive equipment. All you need is a mat, a bottle of water and a significant dose of willpower. That’s it!
In this article, we will explore some of the most beneficial ways in which you can get into awesome shape from the comfort of your home.1. Focus on Your Diet
When we stay at home and are not able to squeeze a workout into our daily routines, our mind automatically tricks us into feeling lazy. The same thing goes for spending time in the kitchen and cooking up a healthy meal, it may seem unnecessary. But if you are seriously looking into losing those extra pounds, it’s time to change your eating habits.
- Studies have shown that an intense workout session can increase your appetite and make you consume more calories than needed. So, you should always have a heavy breakfast and munch on dry fruits in between your meals.
- Stock your pantry with fresh produce. Ensure that the items match your fitness goals. We suggest not to go shopping for groceries on an empty stomach. You might end up buying a lot of junk and high-calorie food.
- Always eat a plate of a balanced meal. Learn portion control. Study on the right portion of each key nutrient that your body requires. There is an intelligent way of knowing how much protein, carbohydrates, fat and green vegetables you should consume according to your body:
- One serving of protein should be equal to the size of your palm.
- One serving of uncooked vegetables should be equal to the size of your fist.
- One serving of cooking carbohydrates should be equal to two cupped hands, while one serving of uncooked carbohydrates should be equal to one cupped hand.
- The portion of fat should be equal to the size of your thumb.
2. Set a Workout Routine
An effective fitness program comprises of five key elements:
- A Warmup - For warm up, you can do some light exercise like jogging on the spot, cycling at a slow pace on a stationary bike, stretching your arms and legs, rotating your neck, etc. Warmups prepare your body for the oncoming intense workout session. It loosens the stiffened muscles and helps prevent unforeseen injuries.
- A Cardiovascular Workout - In the case of cardiovascular workouts, you can do any exercise that forces your heart to pump more blood and increases your heart rate. Skipping rope, pedaling faster, doing sets of different high-intensity workouts in a short span of time, are some of the most effective cardiovascular exercises.
- Strength-Building Exercises - To build strength, you can do squats. Initially, use a chair to get your posture correct. Push-ups and abdominal crunches are equally useful to build your core strength and increase resistance. Some people also prefer using small dumbbells, a weight bar, bands or tubing to add resistance to these exercises.
- Moves to Gain Flexibility - Yoga is an excellent way to gain flexibility. The stretches and the postures practised in yoga are very beneficial for mental health as well. If you are unfamiliar with such workouts, you can easily refer to videos for guided sessions.
- A Cooldown - Finally, your cooldown exercises should involve stretching of various muscles or a light-paced jog. It helps to calm your body and push it towards healing and repairing the worked-out muscles.
If you are completely new to working out, start by doing it three days a week. Slowly push yourself towards five or six days. Make sure to take a day off in between and use it as an active rest day. On an active rest day, you can go for a walk, light jogging, and completely rest so that you can help your body repair any muscle tears from working out the previous day.3. Change Your Lifestyle
Getting into shape is not about dieting and exercising only for a few months. You will need to change your daily routine to keep off that extra weight. Set a monthly or a weekly budget for your dietary requirements. Avoid dining outside. Limit your consumption of liquid calories and always be active. Make small changes in your lifestyle like taking the stairs instead of using the lift, cleaning your house at least three days a week on your own, cycling or walking to nearby places, accommodating light physical exercise on a hectic workday, and so on.4. Track Your Progress
Tracking your progress will keep you motivated towards achieving your fitness goals. Use a journal to write down the reading of your weighing scale, the timings of your workouts, the meal plans for your upcoming week, and most importantly, measurements of your body (like the waist, hips and thighs). When you have a bad day, write about it. Recognize what triggers you and what helps you in working out better. Flip through the pages at times and realize the efforts that you have put in. It will motivate you to get back on track.5. Stay Consistent
Unfortunately, many people who had worked hard on losing weight, end up gaining it all back. The main reason for the regain is lack of consistency. Consistent efforts in both diet and exercise shape the sustainability of your goals. Do not cheat yourself by irregular workout sessions, or that extra bowl of ice cream after dinner. You might feel that the pace of your weight loss is slow. But do not get disheartened. Consistency builds habits, which in turn form actions. Finally, it’s those actions that lead to success.
A home is a sanctuary of learning. It provides comfort, warmth and also forces self-reflection. Getting physically fit will automatically help you shape your body. Do remember to occasionally reward yourself. Treat yourself to a pair of sneakers and activewear. Such gestures will push you to work harder in the next workout session. Set realistic goals and start small. Learn to trust the process because being fit is ultimately about being healthy. A healthier body is bound to transform your confidence and attitude too!